I seem to always have at least a couple brown bananas hanging out in my fridge. Perhaps you can relate. Sometimes I take initiative and peel them, put them in baggies and freeze them so they're ready for smoothies. Other times, they demand to be baked into something delicious. This time, they're baked into something delicious and healthy!
I like the individual portion size of a banana muffin (over bread where I'm prone to keep hacking away at the loaf until there's not much left). These muffins are also more portable, which make for great grab-and-go breakfasts (especially split open and spread with peanut butter!). And (as a wise sage from my mom's group taught me to do with banana bread), after baking, I brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar to up the "treat-factor." Sweet.
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, (2 medium)
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran, (found in baking or health section, can substitute oat bran)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or distribute paper liners.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, yogurt, milk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
- Mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush baked muffin tops with melted butter and top with cinnamon sugar, if desired.